Thursday, September 1, 2011

You weren't crazy, this August really was HOT!!!

And the irony is, this is the first summer I have kept gardening all the way through!   Cucumbers, watermelon, and corn still producing, while the pumpkins are setting fruit and growing strong. 
 
The Republic just did an article on our excessive heat this August, supposedly the hottest August on record! 
 

The month that wouldn't cool off has finally, mercifully, ended. August reached record-setting levels of misery in many ways. To name a few:

- The highest average high temperature: 109.
- The highest average low temperature: 87.5.
- The hottest August day ever: 117.
- The average temperature for the month - the high plus the low divided by two - was 98.3 degrees.

That leaves August tied for the hottest month ever. The real surprise here is that it's August. Every other month in the top-5 list is a July.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog, and boy, am I happy I did. I just moved into a 3 year old house with a barren back yard and am trying to figure out what I want to do with it (raised garden coming soon).. Can you help me identify some of the plants that are growing back there.. I've been searching and searching for different kinds of weeds, and am not having any luck; would you be willing to email me at jackischmittou@gmail.com I just took a bunch of pictures... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete